Friday, February 24, 2012

LIFE AFTER CANCER...WHAT NOW?

A very good read:


I can't tell you how accurately this article communicates Life after Cancer...I've learned that CANCER is just part of me and have experienced this after interferon 5 years ago.  I was blessed with 5 beautiful years and a lot in between but one thing is true.  I'M forever changed.  As I go into TIL (fingers crossed all my tests include me in this trial).  I think I have a need to post this because I know I will need help with this after TIL and really for the rest of my life and while YES, I want and WILL celebrate, I want to let others know and people who deal with people in their lives with cancer and other illnesses that it's not just something you get and it's OVER....It's a lifeline journey once it hits....I am optimistic about my future, the way I go about it is just much more aware.  Many people I know having the stage 1 and 2 diagnosis feel this same way and often times misunderstood and it's nice to know how the help then and just recognize that it is real.


http://www.salon.com/2012/02/20/now_what_life_after_cancer_treatment/


It's not that you aren't excited or are being pessimistic...It's just that with this journey you are forever changed and need to learn how to include happiness in your life with CANCER and not fight it.  

3 comments:

  1. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/26/MN0D1NC2I6.DTL The San Francisco Chronicle had an article today called "New help for survivors with life after cancer." It won't be available online until after 3:00 tomorrow, but I knew I'd forget if I didn't post this now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. Though I've never faced cancer myself, I've watched loved ones fight the battle and they same the same thing: they're forever changed. It's fascinating to see just HOW cancer changes a person, even years later.
    When my dad was diagnosed with stage four skin cancer, his friend gave him a copy of the book "Face Forward" by Michele Howe Clarke (http://faceforwardbook.com). I think the author is a great example of how to include happiness in your life during an after cancer - she leveraged her pain to help herself grow. It's a really inspiring read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel honored and flattered that people I don't even know take the time to read my story. My only hope is it helps someone not feel so alone or lost in their own journey. Cancer is tricky. For a while when I was fighting stage 4, still had my hair and society didn't treat me as much of a cancer patient. I now look the part even though I'm doing the same things and it's amazing as to how much of a conversation stopper I can be when I enter the room. Just wanting to regain the somewhat "normal life" I had, if I ever had one...grin But in many ways even though CANCER has forever changed me, it has also brought a contentment and joy that I don't think I would have found without it. The small things don't get to me and I am grateful for everyday. So cliche I know, but so true. Thanks for your comments. I do read them and they mean a lot.

    ReplyDelete